2. Transform - Any process developed to transform and adopt extracted data into a target load environment. Transformation rules can include data type conversions, business rules conversions, storage type conversions. Transformation processes can be implemented using commercial programming languages, unix scripting and even Excel.
3. Load - Any process developed to load extracted and converted data into target data storage environment. Load processes can be implemented using commercial programming languages, unix scripting and even Excel.
4. ETL development is as old as computers themselves. ETL even happens when devices communicate on the motherboard.
5. Commercial ETL in IT is as big as Big Data. There is no Big Data without ETL.
6. Some subject areas in ETL are really complex. These includes challenges around data adaptation across different business and system domains.
7. Most of enterprise ETL are part of enterprise's mission critical systems as ETL defines "data arteries" into company's pool of knowledge.
8. There are few commercial products on the market providing a wide range of visual tools to develop organization's ETL processes. Every major vendor of storage solutions also provide ETL solutions. Datastage, Informatica, SAP Data Services, SQL Server Integration Services are just to name a few.
9. The heart of ETL is about understanding the data.
10. No tenth step here.
Congratulations, you are now an ETL Subject Matter Expert...sort of.